Monday, July 2, 2007

Welcome to Isaac Jordan



Welcome.

I've created this blog to facilitate discussion on the novel. There are posts for each of the chapters. If you've got comments or ideas on any one of the chapters, just leave a comment on that Chapter. Then there's a post for some overall or miscellaneous issues. Don't feel obligated to comment on all or any of the posts -- I just thought this might be the only way to get discussion going with family members residing all over the country. If your criticisms are truly criticism, don't hold them back so long as they're constructive. I've got thick enough skin.

I'm looking forward to searching for agents or publishes, but I figure I've only got half a chance to pitch it to any of them; thus I hope to take your criticisms and make the novel the best it possibly can be.

Feel free to share the hard copy with anyone -- especially someone who might steal it and who knows how to get books published. I've already registered the copyright, and I've always said that I know how to sue people -- just don't know how to get a book deal. (My lawyer told me to make a disclaimer that I didn't just issue an invitation to steal my book. Please don't steal my book! (But if you do, make sure you make a lot of money on it -- think of all the publicity we could generate together when I sue.)) But seriously folks, if anyone sees you enjoying the manuscript and says, "Hey, where can I get a copy of that awesome book?" feel free to pass it along -- just try and keep tabs where it's at.

Many of you who've already started reading have commented on the autobiographical nature of the work. It's true -- I never told people about my father's antigravity discovery and about my nights crusing the airspace above Phoenix in my Superman suit. Beyond that, the characters in this work are purely fictional and were not intended to represent, reflect upon, or upset anyone in the real world. Any similarities between any characters and real people are entirely coincidental.

It's been fun to write it, and I hope it's fun for everyone to read it. But, if you find that it's absolutely no fun to read -- if, in fact, you don't read it, but sit on that manuscript for weeks, months, let me know. I'm sure the genre is not for everyone. I'd be happy to pick up any unread manuscripts and pass them on to a more likely reader. No offense taken.

On that happy note, enjoy the read.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Steve's the best!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

abby said...

Rodrigo, have you really read Steve's book?

I'm at Chapter 6 Steve! Getting into it...

Jamie will be calling you.

Becky said...

Steve, I was going to wait until I had finished the book to have a more informed response, but I just really want to talk with you about it! Many of my thoughts are general and I think they would go best in the general catagory down at the bottom. I am so stinking proud of my brother for writing a novel!

Anonymous said...

Abby,

I can't read Portuguese, but I bet Rodrigo gave me a smashing review. Just can't figure out what the "personalized t-shirts" stuff is about. (Maybe I can read a little Portuguese.)

Becky,

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll just respond to all of them here. You'll have to finish the book to let me know if I've painted Ike, and other characters, fully enough--tragic flaws and all. But I think I could maybe strengthen (or is it weaken) his tragic flaw in the first couple chapters -- like you've said. If you think I haven't done it by "Jumping the Flume", then I'll have to go back and work on that. I was trying to get it by having him imagine himself from Christine's perspective -- almost like a titan in the halo of the sun.

As for beauty in tragedy, I'm hoping that's one of the book's strong points, but you'll have to suspend judgment on that one until the end as well. Let me know after the final chapters.

As for physical character description -- I've tried to do that in a smattering of comments about blond hair or tan skin, etc. However, unless physical traits are otherwise a driving force of the character, I hate to dwell on them too much. Change my mind if you think otherwise.

Glad people seem to like the art. I went for old paintings because I didn't want any copyright issues for the use of images. But once I got into searching for those paintings, it became very fun to look for the right image for a chapter. I've tried to bring a mythic undertone to the novel -- the paintings seem to help that. Of coarse, they're part of the blog -- not the novel. Let me know how to incorporate some of that into the writing if it needs it.

I agree that the Camping chapter is tricky as far as introducing characters. I did it as cleanly as I could. Any suggestions?

As for the Mormoness of Ike, you'll have to hold off on that also. Issues of revelation, God, and spirituality get bigger as the book goes on. But in truth, I tried not to solve any of those issues for Ike, even by the end. He is only 18 after all.

Thanks for the comments. Keep posting here, and give me a call for any more discussion.

pam said...

I finished the book a few days ago and like I said earlier, I am now re-reading the first few chapters because they are the ones I think need a little work. The rest seemed to flow smoothly and the story went along well. You have done a great job. Good luck. Mom

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

MarySue said...

May I purchase a manuscript please? Contact our mutual friend JCK for my phone number if you want to talk. P.S. I'm so ashamed to say I just polished off a bag of chocolate chips without you. Missing the good old days.

pepper said...

I'm with MarySue, can I get a copy?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.